Saturday, November 3, 2007

Traditional English Cream Scones


Of all the recipes in my cookbook, Nancy Reppert's Sweet Remembrances Recipe Collection, published in 2005, this is probably the recipe I most regret not including in the book. There are many great scone recipes in the cookbook, along with other traditional foods for lunch or dinner since the cookbook represents 15 years of tea room cooking, but somehow this recipe was omitted. For information regarding my cookbook, please visit, The Rosemary House. Typically, at our Afternoon Tea events we serve two varieties of scones, one of which always includes the Traditional English Scone.
Traditional English Cream Scones
2 c. flour
2 tsps. baking powder
2 tsps. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. cold butter
2 eggs
1/2 c. light cream
Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Lightly beat eggs, add cream to eggs. Mix egg and cream with dry ingredients; mix to form dough. Knead for 30 seconds on lightly floured surface. Roll into a circle 3/4 inch thick. Cut into rounds with 2" cutter which has been dipped into flour. Re-roll dough, and continue cutting circles. Place on baking sheet. In a small bowl, mix 1 egg white with 1 tsp. water. Brush onto top of cut scones. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake 425 degrees for 13 - 15 minutes. Yield: 12 scones. Serve warm, lightly dusted with confectioner's sugar, with your favorite toppings. Pictured here are mock clotted cream, lemon curd, and raspberry preserves.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Nancy,

Thank you for sharing this recipe! i will try it soon. Do you share your mock devon cream recipe somewhere, too?

Hugs aplenty,
Denise Rounds

Maryanne said...

How timely. I made some scones in a box yesterday and they fell short of my memories (it was an OLD mix). I was just thinking I should make some from scratch - now I find a recipe from the best scone maker I know! My son will be thrilled.