Monday, April 7, 2008

Dundee Cake - A Scottish Teatime Favorite

We recently held a Scottish Tartan Tea at Sweet Remembrances in anticipation of the publication of Celtic Teas With Friends written by Elizabeth Knight, author, speaker and consultant. We welcomed Elizabeth to the tea room where she explained the customs and teatime traditions from Cornwall, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Her newest book features thirteen new tea party plans, complete with menu suggestions. We centered our menu for the evening around her book. The featured menu included Cock-a-Leekie Soup*, Shepherd's Pie*, Minted Buttered Peas, Oatmeal & Currant Scones, True Devon Cream and Orange Marmalade, Rosemary Shortbread*, Scottish Dundee Cake*, and Mixed Berry Fool. (The recipes marked with an asterisk can be found in her book.).The Dundee Cake typically holds a place of honor on the Scots table either during tea, as a birthday cake, or in celebration of a holiday. Although most recipes feature assorted candied fruits, it is more than just a fruit cake. For a unique presentation, it is decorated with blanched almonds. Recipes are easily found on the Internet, but for a tried and true recipe, I suggest the one included in Celtic Tea With Friends, which also incorporates orange marmalade and a touch of Scots whisky, creating a nice moist cake with a unique flavor. It was a lovely end to a truly special evening.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your cakes look lovely! I have the book ordered and am eager to read it and try the recipes. Your menu sounds great and I wish I could have been there, too!

Linda Jennings said...

How I wish I could have been there to taste this fabulous cake and the other special recipes!

Anonymous said...

Yes, the Dundee cake was wonderful as was the rest of the meal. It was a delightful evening with good food, good conversation and good speakers. Stoltzmouse

Joyce said...

Ohhhh.....my Mom used to make them when I was little and they were SO goooood. I need to check out that cookbook. Not that I like to cook. HA! But just incase. HA! No I do bake on occasion and I do cook...it's not my favorite thing to do in life though. HA~!

I love reading all your Tea Room and "Rosemary" articles and information...I don't think I've ever commented in the past, but I have come to visit.
You came to visit me this week too for the "Blog-a-Thon" so I thought it was "time" for me to properly introduce myself and say "Hi!"
Thanks!
Joyce