Monday, May 24, 2010

Cold Brew Iced Tea

With National Iced Tea Month (June) just around the corner, it's time to start brewing some cold tea! The cold brew method is perfect for the hot summer months. Steep your tea overnight without having to heat up the kitchen with boiling water. It produces a lighter tea, but certainly enjoyable. I've pulled together a fun combination of tea and herbs for tomorrow's iced tea treat. I tossed 2 heaping tablespoons of Palm Court (a nice hearty black tea from Harney & Sons), added 3 - 6" cuttings of fresh lemon verbena and 6 leaves (lightly crushed) of stevia (a natural sweetener from Paraguay) and 4 cups of water to a quart measuring cup. This mixture is put into the fridge and allowed to steep for 8 hours, or overnight.
We'll strain it in the morning, and then enjoy a slightly sweetened lemony iced tea for the day, garnished with a sprig of lemon verbena. Can't wait! Do you have a favorite combination of tea and herbs that you enjoy this time of year?

3 comments:

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

I have always enjoyed your mom's recipe for rose geranium tea! I do, however, like the lemon verbena addition to your tea!

Donna and Miss Spenser said...

Thanks Nancy...I am embarrassed to say, that I wasn't aware of a cold brew method! I am trying it right now...Have been trying to be faithful with walking these past few mornings...so this will be a refreshing drink when I come in tomorrow morning! It's been awfully muggy here in Iowa! ~Donna

Marilyn Miller said...

Love lemon verbena iced. I think it was be extra special with the Palm Court, but please leave out the sweetener for me. I like it straight. I do like the cold brew method and we almost always have something brewing that way when the weather is hot. Now I am hoping for some warm weather, 40's and 50's is not what I call summer weather.