Friday, February 17, 2012

Antique Tea Boxes

These two tea boxes are treasures that were acquired years ago. The larger tea box, on the bottom, held choicest Hoo Chow, a gunpowder tea from China. Gunpowder tea is a green tea that is rolled into small pellets that gives it the appearance of gunpowder. Hoo Chow must be a term no longer used, as it does not come up in an Internet search. Has anyone heard of Hoo Chow?
The smaller box is for Tulip Japan Tea. The box reads Choice Young Leaf Pan Fried. 
Inside the box, on the reverse side of the lid is this beautiful artwork depicting Japanese women plucking the tea leaves in the garden with Mt. Fuji in the background. Because it is on the inside of the box and not exposed to sunlight, the colors remain vibrant.

7 comments:

relevanttealeaf said...

What wonderful tea treasures, Nancy!

Angela McRae said...

I've not heard of Hoo Chow, but now I'll be looking for any references as I read my tea history books!

Steph said...

Oh!!! What treasures!

amherstrose said...

Oh, these are just beautiful. They are works of art! I just love these, Nancy. Tea Treasures!

Donna and Miss Spenser said...

Oh, I love this!! I wish I had an old tea box...my favorite is the one with the ladies on the inside...so lovely! Donna

Comfrey Cottages said...

how cool! Those graphics are amazing! xx

GardenOfDaisies said...

The tea boxes are wonderful. Amazing illustrations on the tulip box!!