Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Tea & Sympathy, NYC

Located in Greenwich Village is the charmingly delightful and typically British tea room Tea & Sympathy and the neighboring gift shop, Carry On Tea & Sympathy. The tiny tea room offers traditional English comfort food such as cottage pie, bangers and mash, Marmite on toast, and of course traditional afternoon tea with dainty tea sandwiches and scones and hearty English tea where the leaves remain in the pot and water is simply added to top it off producing a very bitter pot of tea!





The gift shop carries an amazing array of British teas, tea pots, candies, chocolates, groceries and accessories. The entrance to the shop creates the illusion that you are walking into one of the infamous red telephone booths.

It was fun to poke around the shop and to peek into the window of the tea room. Tea & Sympathy does not take advance reservations, and it was filled to capacity on a cold Saturday afternoon in January.


5 comments:

relevanttealeaf said...

Tea and Sympathy is on my bucket list as are several other tea venues in NYC. Lucky you to live close enough to go to The Big Apple from time to time.

Linda Jennings said...

And, they don't serve anything gluten free, but they were very kind to answer my email.

Bernideen said...

I am glad they serve Afternoon Tea and it sounds lovely. I think of the Bangers, etc as Pub Food. I have seen other British tea rooms do that too but I prefer the "AT". I hope you have a great time!

Angela McRae said...

I've heard of this tea room but never been. Nice to know about their tea in case I ever visit! ;)

Marilyn Miller said...

Like the entrance to the shop. No bitter tea for me. I don't know why so many tearoom leave the leaves in the teapot to get bitter. I guess we just have to drink fast. Smiling!